Thursday, November 17, 2005

Feeling Gid(d)ish

Dear GIDISH,

This letter is to inform you that your application for residential electric service has been denied.
Please complete the enclosed affidavit, and get it signed by a notary, and provide proof for name and age.... blah blah blah

Thank you
----------------------------------------------

Got this mail from the power department yesterday.

apparently my ssn number didn't match the name i had given, and going by GIDISH standards i am probably an imposter in their records by now!

oh damn this problem ..... even after spelling each letter and giving out names of dogs and cats for each of them, nothing seems to have helped. Now they have resorted to deleting the letters they have a confusion about !

May be i should ask someone here who speaks in american accent to record my name for me, letter by letter, so that i can play that back and forth, whenever i need, over the phone !

Yesterday i had to call up the alitalia office in New York to confirm my tickets to India.

"apriete uno para italiano...glub glub glub"....followed by the english one... "please press thoo for eenglish"...after trying to follow the instructions i went blank for a few seconds, when a lady on the other side spoke in thick italian accent :
"ali-thalia airlines, whath can i do for you ?"

thalia thalia ... !!! i got the connection !

Me : "I need to confirm my ticket to bangalore, india, flying from newark"
lady : "Sorrie sir...can you repeath ith ?"
Me: " confirm tickets from newark to bangalore,india"

...another boring saga of thrying to explain !....2 mintues layther, ith became verry annoying !

Lady: "verrie sorrie sir, i could nath geth you..."
Me:" me neither !"
Lady : "sorry ?"
Me : PHUTAAK and cut the call...what else could i do, an indian speaking in indian accent to an ithalian speaking in ithalian accent, and both trying to decipher english spoken in pseudo american accent !! somewhere queen of england is having a roll laughing at us !

These automated phones which ask for verbal confirmation too call for a kick. Hopeless as the idea is, its by no means less irritating than the normal customer service agent.

automated voice : "Please say 'My Service' for service related enquiries...."
Me : "My service"
automated voice : "I am sorry, i could not get you!"

Damn it .....even the automated voice !!

automated voice : "Please say 'My service' for ......" and another hour of lecture on the services offered....

Me : "My Service"

automated voice : silent for a second ( probably it thought what i had just said was optic fibre disturbance, or was just biding time so that i'd just give up !

automated voice : "Please press 1 if you want "My Service", 2 for ...."

Me : Stunned !

bloody automated ragger...why couldn't it give this option earlier !

after another 5 minutes of going through all the leftover options the automated teller decided that a manual intervention was required, and hence transfered me to an agent. That it went to the voice mail is a different story alltogether, and i left my voice message which i was sure no one would return.

I wonder what's with my name, huh ? .....my parents did have the option of naming 'shiva', if they were so touchy, but why jagadish ?, and make it look like yagabish....who knows shiva could have become shy-vah ...better yagabish than shy-vah !

yesterday my client mails me saying :

--------------------
Hi Jagadish

Please check the blah blah blah...blah blah...

Thanks vinay,

Tony
---------------------

My name got completely transformed into another name !
Apparently my client confuses my name to another person who used work here 6 eons ago and went by the name vinay !

May be instead of beating the system i should just surrender to it...change my name to yagabish. May be then everyone will start calling me "yaggi" !.

I can't just think of a good idea, damn !...

oh boy need to go and get that electric connection soon, otherwise gidish will get into trouble !

Feeling very Gid(d)ish right now :(....Grrrr..

37 Comments:

Blogger Manu Gurudatha said...

It did the right thing!

First time, the automated voice asked 'My Service' and you told "My service" (with a small 's')
... and second time it asked for 'My service' and you told "My Service" (with Caps S)

what elses would it do??? :D

Thu Nov 17, 02:48:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jagadish said...

Grrr.... nice catch though ;)... yeno arizona inda dallas ge shuttle maadi maadi sakkath chuti aagogidia...intel inside aa ? :D

Thu Nov 17, 02:53:00 PM PST  
Blogger Supreeth Subramanya said...

Strangely, I've never seen any of my UK colleagues pronounce my name wrongly (even marginally)!!! It just comes out smoothly... "SupReeeT(h)"

But I've been having my share of problems with Indian call center execs. Many a times, they respond to my voice, asking politely - "Hello madam, how may I help you?"

Thu Nov 17, 09:06:00 PM PST  
Blogger Suneel said...

Damn, Different set of problem in other part of world. In China, Everybody asks for Chinese name. Why on earth I should have that? Even the application form here says that I should have a Chinese name, no matter what.

Unlike in US, they don't torture us to have one. :-))

Anyway have a nice time in US Yaggi... :-))

Fri Nov 18, 01:14:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ey yaggi,
I would suggest your name as Maggi, it's so nice & universal :D.

I do keep facing similar problems, actually much verse while I travel all over Europe :D, I had the toughest days while I was in Italy :). Switzerland & Holland haven't been much problem...., except that they some time end up calling 'Shaaandraa'

Fri Nov 18, 05:47:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jagadish said...

supreeth : :D :D...yeah, it's happened to me too...wonder if my voice is sqeeky...invariably, the person on the other side ends up asking me : "hello madam !"...rats ..

suneel: hahaha !! so what is ur chinese name then ? su ? :D :D..nice law though ;)

chandu : :D :D...oh that last one was good.....Shaandra na ? olley sandra thara karitharallo ! :D

Fri Nov 18, 06:06:00 AM PST  
Blogger Manu Gurudatha said...

good one chandra... in fact, i like to call juggi muggi... after all, he gets mugged often in NY downtown :D

Fri Nov 18, 08:29:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one Jaggi,

Atleast Italian is easy on the ears...Try calling up the German embassy. They will connect you to an Iranian who thinks you are the Consulate general and then explains his troubles getting his 2nd wife from Turkey to the US..through Frankfurt. All this when you are trying to find out whether an Airport Transit Visa is required when going to India.

--Vivek

Fri Nov 18, 12:22:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jagadish said...

manu: lo adu mugged alvo ! what happend in NY is called 'getting fooled' not getting ripped off...right helu...

Fri Nov 18, 04:08:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jagadish said...

vivek: thanks :)... yeah, we need to shout our head out, to get across the point...wondering whether they do it on purpose ..hmmm...twist :D

Fri Nov 18, 04:12:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buahahaha, nice one! especially the part about the queen of england.. :DD
keep them coming
rashmi

Sat Nov 19, 08:59:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jagadish said...

hey rashmi :)..thanks ;)

Sat Nov 19, 12:59:00 PM PST  
Blogger Vc said...

haha .. your English woes continue... misery for you fun for us...... damn we are so selfish :)


uahhahahaha,...

Sun Nov 20, 01:23:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

made us laugh for a while

:)
nice one

k!

Sun Nov 20, 04:03:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jagadish said...

vc : :D...thankfully power has been restored to its full potential at home now. gidish is now out of their records, for bad behaviour ;)....all is bright and running now !

pj: :)..thanks :)...glad u liked it..wondering if uk didn't cause you any problem with accent....meek chance, since we speak british english you see :D

Sun Nov 20, 06:45:00 AM PST  
Blogger Thejas Rajaram said...

eeeehahahaha....super super.....

goodone kano....

keep the writing on :-)

...thanks for the appreciation of the pictures..... I use a Nikon 5200 .

hey...had you come to minneapolis...maan...we could have met up... :-)

any plans of coming here in the near future....

teju

Mon Nov 21, 05:16:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jagadish said...

teju: thanks :)...yeah, i had been to minneapolis last month. Met up with friends and we visited a quite a few places. yeah we could have met up :). Hmmm, as of now i am planning to go back to Bangalore, so no idea when i'll be back :)...by the way, minneapolis is very cold ! i'll be careful not to plan my trip during winter the next time i come :).

Tue Nov 22, 06:31:00 AM PST  
Blogger Divster said...

Hey Juggy
I hav just started reading ur blog! I luv it! impressive impressive! U hav got a knack of narrating things.. and narrating them in the most interesting fashion! I wud luv to read more.. i m down to the driver licence one. But im kinda feeling sleepy now..:$
I just didnt want to lose out on da chance to tell u how much i liked ur blog and tat i want to read everything!
Good job!!!! Keep it up! :D

-divster

Tue Nov 22, 11:44:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too good! Your comic narrative amazes me, everytime!
-Sree

Tue Nov 22, 01:27:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jagadish said...

divster: thanks :), Glad u liked it. Do comment on the other posts as well :), although i must warn you, some posts are awfully lengthy, partly the reason it put you to sleep i presume :D

Tue Nov 22, 02:36:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jagadish said...

Sree: thanks :D..maja andre thinking what those operators must be thinking after taking down my name...they'd proably be talking "hey look this guy has GIDISH for a name !" :D :D...

Tue Nov 22, 02:42:00 PM PST  
Blogger Divster said...

u know Jaggery..(i mean Juggy)

Vc calls u 'JP'. it reminds me of JP Dutta. wat do u suppose is the resemblance?

-divster

Thu Nov 24, 11:20:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! one for a few office tickles yet again! :) Often I wondered why my parents settled for a name as plain as Deepa (not that I don't like it, I do too!) but on the flip-side the worst any foreign-tongued nincompoop (yeah, yeah, strong words are allowed sometimes) can pronounce it is *Deeper* or *Deepah*, both I can sort of live with I guess!

Fri Nov 25, 02:56:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jagadish said...

divster: JP ? hmm..i guess vc calls me that because my blog link is JPath... :)

JP Datta who ? no idea who he is...:D

Fri Nov 25, 12:59:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jagadish said...

Deepa: thanks :). hehe, yeah, its difficult to go wrong with your name. However, be careful with the 'D' though, the one in my name usually ends up being understood as 'b' :D...

Fri Nov 25, 01:04:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats right Jagadish.. hope you don't mind me calling you JP ..or would you rather i call you Jpee..

uahhahahahha
Vc

Fri Nov 25, 10:51:00 PM PST  
Blogger Divster said...

Hey Juggy

JP Dutta film director who made "line of Control" or LOC Kargil movie with almost every star u can think of.. but ended up being.. a very huge flop. But, lots of ppl liked the movie.. it was taken well.

But i guess due to no 'masala' songs in the movie.. it may not be of public appeal. :P

Oh yah, and juggy..Dont Mind Vc, He is just rubbin his nose here.. in hope of making it smaller..:P uahahahahaha (winks)

Fri Nov 25, 11:22:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jagadish said...

Vc: ;)..i'll settle for JP :D...

Divster: i think i remember that movie, quite a cast, i agree :). I have not seen it though, but yeah i can assure you there is no particular association between Dutta and what Vc calls me :D

Fri Nov 25, 11:36:00 PM PST  
Blogger Ambar said...

Hi. I know this is offtopic, but I'm posting here cause this is your most recent post. Your post "http://jpath.blogspot.com/2005/07/it-is-not-like-that.html" is all over the web. Most of them call it an email forward, no issues with that.

However, I found a version where the kannada parts were translated to tamil. Another blogger claims its their own. Can you please confirm, because one of you guys is guilty of plagiarism for sure.
Specifically,
http://vijireflections.blogspot.com/2005/07/eppo-foreign-pore.html

Mon Nov 28, 07:19:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jagadish said...

ambar,

thanks for bringing this to light. Why Viji(or whoever that is) chose to copy my post posting my experiences as her's is something i can't explain. I can't comment more about a person who is so desperate to gain attention using someone else's post. Well i'll be putting in a post on this in a few days in my blog and probably a few links of those who have copied my post. I cannot stop people from copying my post, it is just a sad reflection on their part that they chose to copy others post !

Well u can rest assured that it is my original work, and u'll have to take my word for it.

Mon Nov 28, 07:36:00 AM PST  
Blogger Ambar said...

Jagadish, this is not something where I can just take anyone's word for it, right?

Thanks.

Mon Nov 28, 08:18:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jagadish said...

take it or leave it, i am not going to appoint a lawyer to fight for me.

Mon Nov 28, 08:21:00 AM PST  
Blogger Akshay said...

Amber..its pretty simple...

the post by jaggi was on Friday, July 15, 2005

and Viji's was done on Friday, July 29, 2005

I don't think Juggi is capable of plagiarizing someone's thoughts even before they have though about it :)

Mon Nov 28, 10:52:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jagadish said...

:D...good catch akku :)

Mon Nov 28, 06:51:00 PM PST  
Blogger Ambar said...

@Jagadish: The copycat post has been taken down. Vindicates your stand. :-)

@Akshay: Blogspot lets the user change the timestamp for posts. Thats why I pointed out that these things may not be easy to verify.

Mon Nov 28, 09:26:00 PM PST  
Blogger Mamtha said...

hey jaggi...these americans cant understand simple english...they read wat they see and write wat they hear...unfortunatley for them there is no silent letters in a word. addikke astu confusion. spell ur name indicating US states or firang names (for eg: J as in Jack). they will understand...slow learners u see...

Mamtha

Tue Mar 14, 11:07:00 AM PST  
Blogger Mamtha said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tue Mar 14, 11:07:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home