Saturday, July 16, 2005

Shell Shocked

A normal day, i thought, when i woke up this morning at 10; "4:30 am" ringing at the back of my mind. "Harry Potter and the half blood prince" would now be officially on sale, at all major bookstores. I wanted the UK edition badly, so had booked my copy at Indiatimes 2 weeks earlier, which they promised to deliver a day after the official release. "I can wait that long" i had thought then, and only yesterday i had been to work wearing a custom made Harry Potter t-shirt :D, the euphoria still alive and kicking.

Feeling rather lazy, i started browsing through the day's newspaper and as i read i found, not so surprizingly, the paper full of Harry Potter news. After having a go at the day's news, i was brimming with curiosity about what the book would be like this time around.

I am rather notorious at the office as well as among my friends, for being a bit of a , if i can say, staunch supporter of HP books.

After a few quick calls and chat with friends, most asking me whether i have already bought the book, and some suggesting me places where i could get it at a discounted rate, i got all the more edgy to get my hands on the book.

....the book would reach me a day late, and i will have to wait, i told myself, with a lone voice in my mind hoping i would get it this very day.

All was going fine, when i was informed that my book would arrive a week late owing to some transportation issues. The News on TV was full of the mad rush for the book, and my hopes started to wane. I would have none of it, a weeks wait would be suicidal; while everyone at the HP club at office would be discussing the story, i would have to just sit and try not to hear anything. I decided to scourge around the city for the book, but not before cancelling the damn booking at Indiatimes.

I had been idle the whole day, and now i was ready to leave for jayanagar, hoping a few books would be lurking around for me to latch on to. I got a call from ashwini, asking me if i had plans for the day. I had the only plan, and i told her the same, but she would have none of it, and told me that our group would meeting at crossword near Brigade road immediately. I would not need to cancel my plan of buying the book, since i could buy it near brigade road. After getting another call from ashwini about change of plans, and that the group had decided to meet at gangarams book store i couldn't have asked for more.

except rashmi and myself, none in my group are known fans of Harry Potter stories :D. I thought it was a lucky coincidence that they had chosen to meet at gangarams, and also left me wondering if ashwini had suddenly developed a taste for HP books :D.

After wading through some serious evening traffic i finally reached Gangarams, and there stood ashwini, karthik and pothnis enjoying bhel-puri and giggling ear-to-ear on seeing me. After parking my bike, i got ready to barge into gangarams-already overflowing with ad's on Harry Potter, but held back thinking that i should meet my friends before hopping in. After a brief exchange of pleasantries, and the still giggling ashwini, i jumped the gun and proclaimed that i had to urgently go to gangarams to get the book. still giggling, ashwini putforth a plastic bag handing it over to me. puzzled, i looked into it. There it lay, neatly placed, a book, the letters on which read "Harry Potter and the half blood prince" !.... the words "it's for you !!" took time to reach me, but it only aggravated the pleasant shock i got.

while my friends let me savour the moment, i stood there, like a kid who had had his wish fulfilled the minute he asked for it and shocked beyond belief !

I opened the book, after karthik guided me to the first page, when i had instinctively had moved to the last page, and there on the page were written the words:

To Jaggs,

Science is a Sham :-).

It is one thing to buy a Harry Potter book, but to be gifted one, it becomes priceless.

Thanks guys !

21 Comments:

Blogger Akshay said...

hey juggs...
congratz kanla.. like a kid gifted a candy :-)... have a nice read
you have put down your feelings beautifully in this...

man;.. i miss those bhel puri hangouts and brigade road roaming..

Sun Jul 17, 10:00:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jagadish said...

thanks akku :D...yaavaag barthiyo india ge ? we can still have those bhel puri hangouts when you are back :)

Sun Jul 17, 11:21:00 AM PDT  
Blogger ashwini bharadwaj said...

we are glad you liked the surprise :-)
do you now know who is the half blood prince?

Sun Jul 17, 09:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger VinayPothnis said...

glad that u liked !
happy readin

-Cheers

Mon Jul 18, 07:14:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to read ur account of bhelpuri meets .. miss'em :)
Nice blog, btw!

Have fun HP-ing,
Sree

Mon Jul 18, 07:56:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely dovely
make merry n soon write books like this blog. we'll rush the same way when u release 'em. sree will say
happy jr-ing (jagdish revanning reading)
k!

Mon Jul 18, 08:11:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow man! to get a hp book as a gift from namm gumpu..must have been cool...and man yeh i miss the bhel puris too :-( but last week in new york i had both pani puri and behl puri at an indian restaurant:-)

--boda.

Mon Jul 18, 08:40:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yakka Mukka chennagi bardhidhya MAGA. I have seen some real fanatics all my life(I have been one myself!!) but you are really SOMEBODY!! Yen aythe ah HP booksnaLLi antha oosi numgu heLLa ondh dina. Happy odhing!!

Mon Jul 18, 08:43:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kool blog Jags. HP seems to have made fanatics of many people. How I wish I have the patience to go through atleast one page of HP!!

Mon Jul 18, 08:44:00 AM PDT  
Blogger karthik c said...

oye jaggi.... mugsbitya book na?

Mon Jul 18, 09:14:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jagadish said...

ilvo karthik, inna mugsilla odi :)....but its coming around well...maja ide

Mon Jul 18, 10:28:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jagadish said...

thanks sreeveena :)...bhel puri meets at ashoka pillar level aagi irodu :D

Mon Jul 18, 10:31:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jagadish said...

oi ashwini, inna gothaagilve yaar antha..but getting clues :D...illi bariolla, will tell u if you want :)

Mon Jul 18, 10:38:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jagadish said...

lo pot, nung gothu ninge ondu saasvey kaalashtu ishta illa HP books antha ;)...ond dina kudsikonDu odusthini iru ninge book na...aaga ide :D...

Mon Jul 18, 10:40:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jagadish said...

thanks pj :D.. book bariyoda ? ishta bariyoke, but donno what to write on , adey problem :D...

Mon Jul 18, 10:46:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jagadish said...

yes boda ...got HP as a gift :D...and i got it to office today, and showed it off to people here :D...

Mon Jul 18, 10:52:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jagadish said...

oh yes, i am ready to tell teh story anytime :d...i remember rashmi and myself, discussing HP stories during lunch :D....and also fight over it too :D

Mon Jul 18, 11:02:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jagadish said...

srinidhi, iru ningu HP hutch hidsthini, aaga idey ninge...:D

Mon Jul 18, 11:08:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maja maadappa.... hange harry potter dialogs hodiyakke shuru maadu...

kelbeka!!?

(saaka comment, innu beka?)
-manu

Tue Jul 19, 12:13:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jagadish said...

neeraja :)...u wish id give you...but you still have to give back my cds remember ? so for now u can expect only kicks :D

Sun Jul 31, 01:26:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Mamtha said...

Hey Jaggi,
Cancel maddhya indiatimes.com copy na...duddu vapas siktha. Nan friend ge booku siglilla, duddu siglilla :(

Sun Apr 16, 08:16:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home